&Green provides credit or guarantees to finance commodity supply chain projects in its Approved Jurisdictions, all of which have progressive forest and/or peatland protection strategies & policies.
Projects are expected to provide substantial Environmental Returns, that can be monitored throughout the investment period, and must adhere to strong social and environmental covenants as well as a plan for the protection of the wider landscape around the project.
All &Green investments must be additional to the investee and must leverage significant 3rd party financial participation.
&Green does not provide grants or make non-commercial investments, and it does not fund projects without a direct land-use impact.
Geographic & Sector Focus
- Tropical Forest Countries globally
- &Green Approved Jurisdictions only
&Green works globally, with local investment teams based in the tropical forest focus regions of Latin America and South-East Asia.
- Generally, all commodity supply chains which source from tropical forest regions
- Specific focus on the soy, livestock, palm oil, rubber and forestry sector
&Green invests in financially viable companies along the value chain of commodity production.
It does not directly fund smallholders or non-profit organizations.
& Social Inclusion
&Green has an Environmental Return (ER) target of 5 million hectares of tropical forest protected or restored and a Social Inclusion (SI) target of 500,000 smallholders/households benefiting from the Fund’s investments. Social Inclusion of local communities and/or smallholders is an essential component of a robust Environmental Return.
&Green will assess every transaction with respect to its potential for generating Environmental Return, and will monitor its achievement through a suitable set of transparent KPIs. The level of Environmental Return has a direct impact on &Green’s pricing.
&Green investments must contribute to Environmental Return in at least one of these dimensions commensurate with the amount of investment provided.
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Safeguards
In addition to compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, &Green investments safeguard ESG standards as part of the investment process as follows:
- Investments must follow the IFC Performance Standards (IFC PS) or equivalent;
- Investees must implement an Environmental and Social Action Plan (ESAP) in order to address gaps with the IFC PS and the risks identified;
- Investees must make a commitment to No Deforestation, No Development of Peatlands, and No Exploitation (NDPE) at organizational level;
- The project area, and all adjacent high carbon stock (HCS) and high conservation value (HCV) forest and peatland must be covered by a long-term Landscape Protection Plan (LPP), and
- Investees must obtain Free, Prior and Informed Consent (FPIC) of all local communities in the production and conservation areas of the project.
Financial institutions acting as &Green’s co-investors in any project are expected to comply with ESG standards, specifically the IFC PS or the Equator Principles.
Landscape Protection Plan
The landscape, or project area, from which the Fund considers its Environmental and Social Returns to be derived, includes areas with direct and indirect influence from the investee. The LPP is produced by the investee, supported by &Green, and varies depending on the nature of the investee and the project undertaken.
The LPP is a sustainable long term land use and management plan put forward by the investee, which quantitatively sets out how the impact will be generated during the ﬁnancing period.
The LPP serves to demonstrate and replicate models for inclusive agricultural production models reducing deforestation and to maximize direct positive environmental and social impacts.
The progress towards the LPP milestones is monitored and independently verified.
&Green’s investment process allows for continuous assessment of potential investments and combines financial and ESG due diligence.
The process is rigorous but agile and run by the Investment Advisor which presents credible projects that meet the &Green investment criteria to the independent Credit Committee, appointed by the &Green Board of Directors. The Credit Committee recommends investments put forward by the Investment Advisor for final approval; by the Board of Directors.